Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Explosion

I have had several posts in my head, and here they all are in one huge explosion.

Post #1: Let me show you my new therapeutic activity. Playing with blocks.




It started out just having a little fun with Madelyn. But then one evening Madelyn had the worst temper tantrum she had ever had all because she didn't want to get ready for bed. (She got herself so upset, she actually threw up!) I came out of her room that night completely tense and stressed out. I walked into the living room and her toys were all still out on the floor, and instead of cleaning them up, I sat down and played with her blocks. It was amazing how fast my muscles started relaxing and my mind started to thaw out from the stress. There is something about doing something with your hands that helps with the stress somehow. It reminds me of the time when Mitch and I were dating and we broke up for a weekend. In my heart I knew it wasn't over and I wanted to wait by the phone for him to call. So I wouldn't go crazy, I decided to do a jigsaw puzzle. I spent the whole weekend doing a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle all by myself instead of sitting by the phone. (As you might have guessed, he did call back :)



Post #2:
Last week at the grocery store, Madelyn started getting really upset while I was picking out apples in the produce section. I could not figure out what was wrong. She kept pointing to the back of the cart where I had just placed my bag of apples, and I finally realized she wanted an apple. I gave her one (after I wiped it off with my shirt) and she held that apple like it was her long lost friend. She held onto that apple all the way through the rest of the store, in the car on the way home and at home while I unpacked and the groceries. Some kids want a cookie at the store, my kid wants an apple. I can live with that.





Post #3:


Madelyn has discovered the healing power of band-aids - especially when Elmo is on them.


Post #4:
As most of you know, I suffer from migraines. Last week, however, I had the mother of all migraines. Instead of it lasting 4-5 hours, this one lasted 14 hours and instead of throwing up once or twice, I threw up 12 times, I think (After about 8 times, I started to lose count). My dear husband stayed home from work and took care of Madelyn. While laid up in bed or hovering over the toilet, I could hear them in the main part of the house having a grand-ole time. When I finally emerged from the bedroom, this is what I found.




This picture doesn't quite portray what our house looked like. I think every toy was out on the floor somewhere. Daddy and daughter had a great day together.
And that's a wrap.






























3 comments:

Margaret said...

I believe in the power of Scooby-Doo band-aids.

Your block art is very impressive. Maybe you should take up knitting. Once you get past the swearing part it is very relaxing.

Stephanie said...

I have a picture from last fall where I was trying to decorate for the holidays, and was allowing the kids to play with anything as long as it couldn't hurt them. You honestly cannot see the floor in most of the picture.

Sorry you're having to deal with tantrums ... Asher didn't have them until he was over two, but Silas is starting early, like Madelyn.

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

Wow, T! You should become a block artist! Those are awesome!

This is a great post. You should submit it for some linky love over on my Whippersnapper Wednesday post. :D I'd love to have you!

http://unskinnyboppy.blogspot.com/2009/10/introducing-whippersnapper-wednesdays.html